Many trainings leave me feeling overwhelmed and stretched too thin, these trainings however leave me renewed and excited to implement all of the strategies we have learned to reach the whole child.
Who we work with:
In order to transform the system of care and education, we work across settings including:
- Pre-K to grade 12 schools and districts
- Charter schools
- Early education and child care sites
- Afterschool, expanded, and summer learning programs
- Higher education
How we work:
The SEL Center at Children’s Institute differentiates itself from other organizations by:
- Creating sustained collaboration, authentic working relationships, and customized services
- Providing training, consultation, and supports grounded in research and informed by data
- Conducting action-oriented research and evaluation that is informed by practitioners
- Supporting individuals and programs to transform systems
- Working across multiple settings that serve children to achieve systemic change
We believe, on behalf of all children and families, that:
- All children need social and emotional skills to succeed in life.
- All adults should intentionally and explicitly teach children social and emotional skills.
- Children with strong social and emotional skills will become contributing adults who make our world a better place.
- Young people are resilient and it is imperative to identify and foster their core strengths.
- Engaging in SEL will improve the job satisfaction of those who work with children.
What Is Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
The Collaborative for Academic Social and Emotional Learning defines SEL as the process through which children and adults gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to:
- Understand and manage emotions
- Set and achieve positive goals
- Feel and show empathy for others
- Establish and maintain positive relationships
- Make responsible decisions
- Young people who develop these skills have greater success later in life, demonstrate lower rates of risky behaviors, and demonstrate higher academic achievement in school
We would love to hear from you. Contact us with your questions about our work and ways we can support or partner with you.
edevaney [at] childrensinstitute.net (Elizabeth Devaney)
Director, SEL Center
corbanek [at] childrensinstitute.net (Caitlin Orbanek)
Project Coordinator, SEL Center